University Testing Services
TOEFL - Institutional
The Institutional Test of English as a Foreign Language (ITOEFL) is normally taken by non-native English speaking students who wish to enroll at the University of Houston System ONLY. The University of Houston recognizes ITOEFL as an official test score for Undergraduate and Post-Baccalaureate applicants only, NOT Graduate applicants. UH-Clear Lake and UH-Victoria accept ITOEFL score for undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate applicants.
The test uses a multiple-choice format to measure the ability to understand English. It consists of three sections:
- Listening Comprehension (50 items)
- Structure and Written Expression (40 items)
- Reading Comprehension (50 items)
Total testing time is 115 minutes. Please expect approximately 3.5 hours in the testing center.
This test is offered the first and third TUESDAY of each month at 1:30 p.m.
The results of this test will be reported directly to the Office of Admissions in approximately four weeks after the date of the test.
The scores for ITOEFL are reported to the University of Houston System ONLY, and cannot be transferred from the University of Houston. Students who need TOEFL scores for admission to universities and colleges other than the University of Houston System must take the official TOEFL iBT administration. Please see TOEFL iBT information.
Walk-in Fee (register on day of test): additional $10.00
Duration: Three hours
Results available: Four weeks
In order to be registered, ITOEFL Registrants MUST:
- have PeopleSoft ID in order to take the test. You have to apply to the University of Houston System in order to get the PeopleSoft ID. Without PeopleSoft ID, you WILL BE DENIED admission to the test. To apply to the University of Houston System, please go to www.applytexas.org.
- register at least 48 hours before the scheduled test time and date. After 48 hours, you have to come to Room 204 SSC1 to register and you will be charged $10.00 walk-in fee.
- Complete the Photo identification form.
- Bring your Valid PASSPORT or ALIEN REGISTRATION CARD. You will NOT BE ALLOWED to take the test without this type of identification.
PASSPORT or ALIEN REGISTRATION CARD is required for taking the test. Examinees will not be allowed to take the test without this type of identification.
Test administrators reserve the right to deny admittance of any student who does not meet the listed requirements.
When register, please complete your address in your user information. The address is needed for the official score.
Scores are valid for two years
If you are not present for the test, you may within 15 days of the original test date receive a 50% refund of your test fees. Please complete the Refund Request Form and return it to the Testing office along with your admission ticket and Form W-9. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing.
TOEFL - Institutionalis being given at the times listed below. If no times are shown please call (713) 743-5444.
- Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 1:30 PM
- Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - 1:30 PM